4 pounds whole chicken
3 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 Tablespoon dried Greek seasoning
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 large onion, halved optional
2 cloves garlic
1 lemon halved; optional
1 cup chicken stock or chicken broth
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, Greek seasoning, Italian seasoning, paprika, garlic, and onion powder.
FOR THE INSTANT POT METHOD (FRESH CHICKEN):
- Gently loosen the skin from the chicken breast with your hands lifting and separating the meat. Rub 1 tablespoon of olive oil followed by a third (1/3) of the seasonings under the skin using your hands and fingers. Next, rub another tablespoon of olive oil and the rest of the seasonings over the entire chicken and inside the body cavity.
- Place the onion, garlic cloves, and lemon inside the cavity of the chicken. This helps to seal in the moisture and add flavor.
- YOU CAN SKIP THIS STEP BUT SEARING THE CHICKEN FIRST HELPS TO GIVE IT COLOR AND LOCK IN THE FLAVORS: Press the SAUTE button HIGH. When the word “Hot” appears, swirl in 1 tablespoon olive oil.
Place the chicken – breast side down, in the pot, and sear for 5-7 minutes, or until a golden brown. Using tongs and a spatula, flip the chicken over and sear for another 5 minutes, or until brown. Remove chicken and place on a large platter.
- Place a trivet (the one that came with the Instant Pot or uses another) inside the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Pour chicken stock or broth into the pot. Place trivet on top of the chicken broth then lay the chicken on top of trivet, breast side up.
- Cover and lock lid. Turn the valve to SEALING.
Press the MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK button and set the timer according to 24 minutes for a 4lb chicken or cook according to size:
* 3 lbs- 18 min
*3.5 lbs- 21 min
* 4 lbs- 24 min
For a FROZEN WHOLE CHICKEN – set to 42 minutes ON HIGH for a 4 lb chicken.
Allow the Instant Pot to come to pressure (this may take about 10-15 minutes).
- Once the 24 minutes is up and the Instant Pot beeps indicating the chicken is done, allow to naturally release for at least 15 minutes and then quick release for any extra pressure.
- Open lid and transfer chicken to a platter or a large cutting board. Broil in the oven for 4-5 minutes to crisp up the skin.
- Allow chicken to cool for 5-10 minutes. Slice or shred and serve with your favorite sides.
TO ROAST IN THE OVEN INSTEAD:
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
Place seasoned chicken on an oven roasting pan and cook for approximately 30 minutes. Cover loosely with aluminum foil (to prevent too much browning) and cook for an additional 40-50 minutes or until the temperature reads 165 F.
- Remove roasting pan. Let chicken cool for 5-10 minutes. Slice or shred and serve with your favorite sides.