8 ounces sliced white mushrooms (about 3½ cups)
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
8 cups baby spinach
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
¾ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta; cook until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms release their liquid, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, spinach and crushed red pepper (if using). Increase heat to medium-high; cook, stirring once halfway through, until the spinach is wilted, about 4 minutes.
- Toss the sauce with the pasta and divide among 4 bowls. Dollop each serving with 3 tablespoons of ricotta.
Per serving: 338 calories; 9 g fat(3 g sat); 8 g fiber; 53 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 142 mcg folate; 14 mg cholesterol; 4 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 4,572 IU vitamin A; 27 mg vitamin C; 231 mg calcium; 4 mg iron; 493 mg sodium; 815 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (91% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Folate (36% dv), Calcium (23% dv), Iron (22% dv)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3½
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetables, 1 lean meat, 1 fat