- 1 cup thinly sliced green bell pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow bell pepper
- 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can beef consomme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (1-ounce) slice whole-wheat bread
- 1 pound ground round
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg white
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- Add peppers, beef consomme, and bay leaf to a large saucepan filled with 1 1/3 cup water. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- While the peppers are cooking, place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs form to measure 1/2 cup.
- Combine breadcrumbs, beef, onion, oregano, salt, pepper, egg white, and garlic in a bowl, shaping mixture into 36 (1-inch) meatballs.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add meatballs; cook for 10 minutes, browning on all sides.
- Combine flour and 1/4 cup water in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Add to bell pepper mixture in saucepan. Add meatballs; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in the basil and vinegar. Remove bay leaf.
Nutrition: Calories 263; Fat 9.8 g; Protein 30.2 g; Carbohydrate 12.4 g; Sodium 788 mg