With summer in full swing you can bet on one thing it’s BBQ time.
If your neighborhood is anything similar to ours it is a sure bet that any given evening or weekend your neighbors are inviting you to a BBQ.
Who doesn’t love a good BBQ!
Hanging out with your neighbors, spending time with your family and friends is a big part of summer. Who wants to be stuck inside cooking dinner, when the evenings are warm and daylight last until 10pm?
Although, if you are a social butterfly or the party animal, all those BBQ will start to cause chaos with your fitness and wellness goals! Does this mean you have to lock yourself indoors during the summer and not be social at the local neighborhood BBQ?
Not at all! You can attend every BBQ you are invited to, but you might want to follow a few strategies to help keep your health and wellness goals in-check.
By following a few of these strategies you will get through the BBQ season without destroying your goals:
- Moderation is important with anything you do, so always try not to overindulge on foods and beverages while attending the BBQ. If you can eat a small meal before you attend the BBQ, it will help minimize the temptation of over consuming. You do not want to show up to your local BBQ starving, because it will turn into the smorgasbord of unhealthy options quickly. The more self-control you have the better options you will make.
- While at the BBQ always try to use a smaller plate. It has been shown that if you use a smaller plate, you will eat less.
- When choosing options at the BBQ you want to think lean protein first. This will help give you the sensation of being full and it will help you burn a little more calories in the digestions process. Consuming raw fruits and vegetables will be another great option to help fill you up with high fiber and good nutrients.
- While using condiments make sure you go opt for the lighter, less creamy version or make sure you use 2 tablespoons or less. It will not matter if you consume health fruits and veggies if you load them up with sugar and unnecessary calories. Try to use condiments sparingly to keep your calories manageable.
- Try to be the one to bring a healthy dish this way you will have a least one option for yourself. This helps me know I at least have one healthy food to choose from, and I enjoy making healthy dishes that go with a summer BBQ.
- Be careful when consuming beverages while at the BBQ. Calories from beverages can add up very quickly! You can down hundreds of calories in a short period of time without the satisfaction of addressing your hunger. If you do consume a beverage containing calories alternate with a glass of water between. This will help with hydration and slow down calorie consumption! 😊
- Be active at the BBQ. Get an activity going so you are not just sitting around, mingle with all the guest or chase the kids around!
Here are some of my go to recipes and some we are preparing for Leo’s First Birthday Party!
Fire-Roasted Corn Salad
Al Roker’s Potato Salad with Lemon and Mint
Tomato and Mozzarella Bites
Happy BBQ’ing and share your favorite recipes!